Saturday, July 21, 2012

Day 21-Let them eat CAKE!

Day 21

Well today was a good day...no symptoms any more, awesome!

NO headaches, no fog, nothing nasty...LOVE IT!

I've had pretty good energy levels today, considering I stayed up WAY too late reading a book about Emmett Till for my Children's Lit class. GREAT read by the way, seriously great.

His killing basically sent the whole human rights into motion. The black community became so outraged over what happened with his case that they said enough is enough. Amazing story, sad story, but one I had never heard of, and really enjoyed reading about!

So I picked up my bountiful basket again this morning.

I probably did a no no but it had raspberries and strawberries in it, and well I didn't want them to go bad and so I ate both cartons, entirely, by myself.

The strawberries were the best I've tasted since my cute little house on Tualatin in Post Falls garden.

Oh how I miss my garden, sniff, sniff. If you have one, please enjoy it and if you have too much share with those around you.

I didn't prepare myself before going out to my grandpa's while the kids swam, my snacks that is, and ate the last of a smart pop popcorn bad. SHOOT! It just makes me mad cause I'm hungry and even after I eat that crap I'm still hungry...why do it! It is what it is today!

Then I came home and made an AMAZING salad I found on wholefoods.com.


Sweet Onion Salad with Orange Vinaigrette

Serves 6

A zesty way to take advantage of fresh oranges and spicy-sweet onions.

Ingredients

1 large head butter lettuce, leaves torn into bite-size pieces
2 cups baby spinach
1 sweet yellow onion (1/8 finely chopped, remaining thinly sliced)
3 apples, cored and diced
3 large navel oranges
2 tablespoons white wine or champagne vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons honey
1/3 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
4 rounds pita bread, cut into wedges and toasted

Method

Put lettuce, spinach, sliced onions and apples into a large salad bowl and toss together; set aside. Remove peel and pith from oranges. Working over a bowl to catch the juices, carefully cut between the membranes to remove the oranges in sections. Reserve juice in bowl and transfer orange sections to bowl with lettuce and spinach. To the bowl with the reserved orange juice add finely chopped onions, vinegar, mustard and honey and whisk together. While continuing to whisk constantly, add oil in a steady stream until blended. Add dressing to bowl with lettuce mixture and toss gently to coat. Garnish with sesame seeds and serve immediately, with pita bread on the side.

Nutrition

Per serving: 280 calories (120 from fat), 14g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 38g total carbohydrate (5g dietary fiber, 19g sugar), 4g protein


I, of course, did not have any fruit, and it was still super delicious! MAKE IT! You'll not regret it!

 
Then I made my staple sushi. Seriously love this stuff! Tastes so good!


And for dessert, I had to try this new bar of chocolate I got at Trader Joe's and can I say this is THE best bar of dark chocolate I've ever had! It has this sweet nutty after flavor I just can't get enough of. Seriously!

For some reason I took this picture upside down and I can't figure out how to get it right side up...opps!
Then lastly, tonight I went to my dear friend Amanda's wedding reception! LOVE LOVE LOVE her! And so happy for her. She looked amazing and I again forgot to get a picture.

I think because for so long I've hated myself in photos I just never think to take them. I am changing that!

So I had a piece, well actually almost 2 pieces of cake. And you know what? I didn't hate myself. I enjoyed all of it.
This is for my sister who stayed with children and didn't get to go to the reception. This cake was worth it...

I realize now that this type of food is just not harmonious with my body.

No more do I say oh it'll make you fat don't eat it. Instead it's ok to have it on special occasion, etc and It won't make me fat, only if I make it a daily part of my life again. (ok, Honestly it was NEVER a daily thing, but you know what I mean)

So it was a great day. I'm actually really liking this, I just want to eat fruit. I flipping love me some fruit.

I'm salivating about pineapple. Oh my! Can't wait for my first JUICY piece!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment