Saturday, October 27, 2012

Makin' bread

No I am not Molly Mormon, but I so love the taste and ingredient list of my homemade bread. This is also NOT detox friendly, but my alternative to buying my kids Dave's Killer bread at $4 a loaf, ouch! We go through it way too fast!

So I have this friend in Post Falls.

Her name is Shawn.

She is a wicked amazing homemaker.

I might idolize her.

One day I phoned her up and said hey what are you doing? I might run over and see you for a bit.

She said yes come on over, I am making bread and we can have some for lunch.

(She said that at like 11am)

I said,

      "Shawn, you make bread like I make chicken nuggets. How is it so easy for you to just WHIP up some bread, cause my recipe seriously takes me like 3 hours!"

So y'all, I timed my bread from mixing to out o' the oven. Guess what! One hour. Seriously! And it's not the kind of over the stove cooking for one hour. It's the kind of make it, let it rise, shape it, let it rise, bake it, and take it of the oven and DEVOUR!

This recipes makes three loaves. The first one doesn't make it past the 30 minute mark. One sits on our counter to eat, and the other goes into the freezer.

Alright, so here it is. I had to check with her tonight to make sure it wasn't a family secret. It isn't.

So here you GO!

Shawn's Homemade Wheat Bread

4 Cups HOT water
2 heaping TBSP yeast (I only use SAF yeast, I keep it in a container in the fridge so it stays good)
1 TBSP Salt (I prefer Kosher salt)
1/2 cup brown sugar (you can use any alternative sugar source here, just make sure it is =to=)
1/2 cup oil (whichever you prefer, Shawn suggests canola oil)

Mix above ingredients.

Add 4 cups of whole wheat flour. Mix until creamy then add:

6 cups of white flour (I use unbleached, un-enriched flour. You can also add more of the whole wheat flour, it does make it more dense, but you decide which you like better!)

Add 2 cups of white flour at a time until dough starts to pull away from the bowl.

Put in a large greased bowl, cover with saran wrap and let it rise (10 to 15 minutes)

Take out shape into three balls on your counter, making sure those balls are the same size, or thereabout. Use a little flour and knead 'em just a bit and then roll them up like wrapping paper and you'll get what kind a looks like a huge hotdog bun with a slit. Put those babies in your greased pans, slit down and cover 'em with the saran wrap you used to cover your greased bowl. Let 'em rise. 5 to 10 minutes. Make sure you've got a smokin' hot oven at 350 degrees, slam those babies in that oven and bake for 30 minutes! Tonight I took them out about 5 minutes early.
I also slice these babies with my electric knife before bagging. No body likes to cut their bread when they HUNGRY!

Enjoy! I will applaud you if you don't eat half the loaf straight out of the oven with butter and honey!

No comments:

Post a Comment