Tuesday, October 8, 2013

A new kind of sushi

Tonight I made the most yummy sushi ever! And no it wasn't fried.

I added this "alternative" cheese Natalia gives a recipe for in her Raw Food Detox Diet book.

It was so good, I forgot to take a picture.

I started with quinoa. I made a 1/2 cup and it made 2 sushi rolls.
I cooked the quinoa with veggie broth. NOT just any veggie broth, Imagine brand veggie broth. I am NOT a fan of Pacific brand veggie broth. Cook your rinsed quinoa for about 15 minutes, like you would rice and voila! YUMMY, flavorful quinoa.

Next, I made my "alternative" cheese. (Middle Eastern Nut Cheese pg. 117)

3tbsp pine nuts
3 tbsp macadamia nuts
3 tbsp walnuts
Juice of 1 1/2 lemons
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 clove garlic
7 dash's Bragg's Liquid Aminos
Dash of soy sauce-preferably the gluten free brand(s)

Blend until smooth. I tried using my Blendtec, but to no avail. I finally had to pull out the mini food processor.

I then placed this concoction in a zip lock and cut off the tip for easy squeezing down the middle of the sushi.

Last, I made sure I had my avocado, spicy "tuna" (red pepper), and cucumber ready to put on there.

With my quinoa (cooled and sprinkled with rice vinegar), "cheese", and other condiments, I was ready to roll these sushi and make me some dinner!

It turned out awesome. If you need tips on sushi or how to make a veggie spicy tuna go here.

But before I ate every last morsel of these sushi rolls, I had a yummy butter lettuce salad. I topped it with tomatoes and the easiest yummiest dressing.

First, get a plastic container with a lid, pour in about a 1/4 cup of EVOO, add a few tbsp of balsalmic and this is the kicker, add about a 1/4tsp of salt. Put the lid on and SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE! WOWZERS! Something about that salt just takes it up a bit! Pour a bit on your salad and dig in!

My Smith's, which is really Kroger and/or Fred Meyer had butter lettuce on sale today! So, it being Jordan's and I's favorite lettuce, I stocked up. Yep. Bought four of those bad boys today. SOOOOOO GOOD. And once again, didn't snap a pic because it was in my belly faster than, well, butter lettuce? :)

I also am so happy to be back at this again. To say I was "on track" over the summer would be a GROSS exaggeration. I feel so good, whether I lose more weight or not. So happy to be finding more healthy recipes. Tonight Jace ate an entire roll of sushi and Kenzie ate bits of the sushi torn apart. It was amazing.

Now to get Sean to realize fruits and veggies are good for him...

No comments:

Post a Comment