Saturday, January 26, 2013

Vitamins and minerals, oh my!

So I have learned a lot over the last week or so since I blogged.

First, I hope you remember I am not perfect and am on a journey with myself. I am learning and growing. I did not grow up in a house where proper food and nutrition was taught. Food was viewed more as get it in and get on with life.
This is how I've been feeling over the last year, and especially, the last few weeks! (this is Nadine and Ron from livinglibations.com, check out their site for all things natural and raw!) And technically, that man could be Jordan and all his support and love for my journey, haha!

I have learned SO much over the past year about food, myself, and why and what I need to function at my best.



I have felt so great over the last few weeks, and yes, that would mean I am a happy person and mom until dinner. Don't believe me? Ask Jordan, he will tell you honestly what a change has occurred in our home recently!

I have never been one to feel down for too long, feel depressed, or unhappy with my life. Even with all the changes over the last few years, I have SO much to feel blessed and happy about.


But honestly, I have been feeling very angry and mad, especially at God for a few things, and NO that is not like me.

My shortness with my children and Jordan has been over REALLY dumb things and really, what do I have to be stressed about? Certainly nothing to make my children and husband feel like I don't love them.

This has been bothering me for some time now, and well, I have been thinking maybe I needed an anti-depressant (which bugged me too, because I feel like a lot of those type of issues and problems are diet and lifestyle related).

I like these because they are chocolate flavored and chewable, meaning my children can safely have one a day too!          
Well my answer came about a week and a half ago as I was perusing my favorite blog, detoxinista.com. I have included the link here for you to read about what caught my eye. She talks about how 80% of Americans are deficient in magnesium, and well after reading the article, and even with my pretty healthy diet, I KNEW I was in that 80% deficient category.

What a difference some magnesium, and Vitamin D can make. You can either buy the magnesium she recommends or find one you like. I use Nutrilite's vitamins. I have for years. I like them, I feel they are a good quality, so I am sticking with it. I found this vitamin D supplement at Good Earth. You can safely take up to 15,000 IU's if you are not well (mentally or physically, meaning depressed or having reoccurring infections like sinus) and be JUST fine. How do I know this? Well, when I was pregnant with Kenzie I learned so much, again something about being pregnant with her and her being my third child, my body was so deficient in so much from not giving it what it needed from my VERY mainstream diet, it was spent and I mean spent!

(I think you as my reader know I don't hold anything back, so the following will be TMI, just a fair warning!)

Natural and plant based vitamins and minerals are the best and easiest on your body to digest than synthetically produced vitamins. If you are not getting enough vitamins and minerals from your food, purchase a whole, plant based pill as the next best thing.
Ok, so how did I know I was deficient in vitamin D? I didn't. But my midwives did. (SMART WOMEN!) Well, around the end of January, beginning of February I started to get these infections, and well they wouldn't go away. And as a female they were very bothersome. I had yeast infections that would NOT stop. I had three back to back and after using the creams they sell in the stores I was so frustrated that I couldn't get rid of them. FIRST and foremost my midwife told me you HAVE to eliminate or greatly reduce your sugar and carb intake. SECONDLY, she said you are so deficient in vitamin D because you haven't seen the sun for three or  more months your immune system is severely compromised. She suggested as a pregnant women, to take 15,000 IU's of vitamin D until the infections were gone and then go to 5,000. (Consult your doctor first before following this advice, especially if you are under a doctors care for a specific disease or condition)

It was amazing how quickly those pesky infections were gone! This would be true of all illnesses at this time of year, so get your vitamin D and if you're being a real witch, you better start downing some magnesium! :)

Jordan has said how nice it is to come home at night and I'm happy, and well, ya know what, so am I! :)

Next, I have learned a thing or two about fats. Yes, I am still a firm believer that fats are good for you and that your body REALLY needs them. But, I have been using too much. I hope the following helps a few of you and that the pounds can really start to drop, cause I know they will for me.

FATS!

1.) Do not put a fat (OIL) on your salad before dinner, unless it is an avocado.

2.) DO NOT layer fats.  This would be something I have been doing almost every night, which is why some of my weight loss has been "frustrated" :) haha
           So what does that mean? It means if you are eating a fat like cheese on your salad, DO NOT have a fat in your dressing.  I believe this tip is going to greatly help me, again because that is difficult on your body to digest.

3.) THREE HEALTHY FATS: butter, coconut oil/butter, and avocado's
       Enjoy these bad boys, but beware of the other fats, even OLIVE OIL!


Another fun tip!

RAW NUTS in the United States are not actually raw. They have still been heated and pasteurized. The only way to get truly raw nuts is out of the US. Seriously, I am starting to think our government wants us fat and addicted to the wrong foods. If you are interested in getting raw nuts, message me and I'll send you info on where to find it.

And on this nutty note, I finally got around to making Kimberly Snyder's truffles. Now these are good, but as a shout out to my girl Ginger, her's are so much smoother and creamier, but until I can buy her truffles everyday, these will just have to suffice. :) They are a bit labor intensive but worth it!
Go here for Kimberly's recipe.


Lastly, things are going great with my "idea"! We are meeting with the owner/creater from Chynna's Kitchen. This is a gluten free company out of Heber, Utah, which is huge because it has been very difficult finding someone who will work with me and my ingredients that isn't half way across the country. I have learned a lot about how our food is distributed and produced! There is a reason why food costs so much! SHIPPING! And surprisingly the lighter something is, the more expensive it is to ship, OH and don't forget that if something is packaged at sea level and then is shipped to somewhere with high altitude, oh like say UTAH, the bags can/will/could explode costing you and your company money. Never less, I am not dismayed. I am working feverishly to get my product to market and know I have an idea that can and will work! SO EXCITING! YES, I believe in being an entrepreneur and that being one is the American way! ;)  As a plug for them, if you see their products, buy them. GREAT people!
   
Side note: All my meals were great and properly combined this week, and no new recipes so sorry for none of that, but I hope you enjoy the rest! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment